In the autumn of 1200, William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke, set sail for his first visit to Ireland as Lord of Leinster. Threatened with shipwreck, he vowed to found an abbey wherever he should reach safety. Upon landing in Bannow Bay, he fulfilled his vow, bequeathing land for the foundation of this Cistercian abbey. Consequenty, Tintern Abbey is also referred to as Tintern de Voto - "Tintern of the Vow".