Dunbrody Abbey was founded in 1170 on the instructions of Strongbow by his nephew, Herve de Montmorency, after the Norman invasion of Ireland. Herve de Montmorency made a grant of the lands to the monks of Bildewas in Shropshire, England on condition that they would build the Abbey for monks of the Cistercian Order. The Abbey was to contain a sanctuary for all malefactors. Dedicated to "St. Mary the ever Blessed Virgin and St. Benedict", it has sometimes been called the Abbey of St. Mary de Port because of this refuge.